Nancy M. Kelly
- B.S. in Biology from Texas A&M University
- Currently working on Master’s in Behavioral Psychology at University of Houston-Clear Lake
- CPDT-KA from CCPDT, Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers
- Professional Member of APDT, Association of Professional Dog Trainers
- 30 years of experience professionally training dogs and teaching people
- 5 years of experience as a Veterinary Technician
Nancy M. Kelly, B.S., CPDT-KA holds a Bachelor of Science in Biology from Texas A&M University. She holds the title of Certified Professional Dog Trainer-Knowledge Assessed® (CPDT-KA) which means she has experience teaching people and their dogs and has been recommended by veterinarians, other trainers, and clients. In addition, she passed an independent test to demonstrate knowledge in all aspects of animal care and training, business practices and ethics. Find out more about this certification here.
Nancy has over 30 years of experience in teaching people to work with their dogs. She has trained dogs to have delightfully good manners, obedience, rally, and conformation performance, and service dog work. She has studied with Dr. Bob Bailey for nearly 20 years, and many hours with Dr. Jesus Rosales-Ruiz, Dr. Ian Dunbar, Steve White, Sue Ailsby, Ken Ramirez, and many other great animal training teachers. She completes at least 30 hours of continuing education per year and also teaches other trainers. She is a professional member of APDT, Association of Professional Dog Trainers. Find out more about APDT here.
Nancy spent 5 years working as a veterinary technician, for an animal emergency clinic and a general care clinic. She gained broad experience in assisting veterinarians in the care of dogs with injuries, illnesses, endocrine imbalances, surgery, orthopedic issues, and more.
Nancy is currently enrolled in a Master’s Program in Behavioral Psychology at the University of Houston – Clear Lake. She will always pursue knowledge in animal behavior and training. Her goal is to offer even better teaching for her students.
- created a comprehensive behavior program at Houston’s largest animal shelter, BARC. It resulted in a safer environment for staff and lower stress levels for animals. Animal Care Staff learn how to read what animals are communicating., handle them in a low-stress manner, and understand animal behavior better. The program has been in use for over 5 years.
- wrote a training manual for trainers of service dogs containing a sound, science-based set of protocols for training dogs as well as teaching their handlers.
- edited the 2018 re-release of Keller and Marian Breland’s classic book, Animal Behavior, with a new foreword and introduction by Dr. Bob Bailey.